30 September 2018
Duty Station: Almaty, Kazakhstan
Type of contract: Service Contract (SC)
Contract Duration: initially 1 year (with possibility of extension up to 3 years)
Grade: SB-5 Peg1 (UNESCO Almaty SC scale)
Annual salary: *978,918 KZT monthly (including 10% for pension and 5% for medical insurance)
(*subject to change in case of changes in UNESCO Almaty SC salary scale)
Only candidates entitled to work in Kazakhstan may apply for this post
Closing Date of Applications (midnight, local time): 30 September 2018
Under the direct supervision and functional authority of the Director of UNESCO Almaty Office (ATA), the incumbent shall be responsible for the coordination and implementation of the UNESCO Almaty component of UNESCO’s Project on “Silk Roads Heritage Corridors in Afghanistan, Central Asia and Iran – International Dimension of the European Year of Cultural Heritage” Project funded by the European Union.
Working in close collaboration with the National Programme Officer for Culture at the UNESCO Almaty Cluster Office, the Project Implementation Team at the Tehran, Tashkent and Kabul Offices, as well as the relevant colleagues at the Culture Sector at the Headquarters and the Liaison Office in Brussels.
The incumbent shall perform the following functions:
Planning, management, coordination, monitoring and reporting:
- Plan, implement, monitor, evaluate and report on the ATA activities under the Outputs 1, 2 and 3 of the Project. Coordinate and lead the planning, implementation, monitoring, and reporting on the joint awareness-raising activity under Output 4.
- Coordinate the reporting on all Project activities.
- Provide project support by developing work plans for implementation and draft terms of references for activities. Liaise with local partner organizations, as well as experts working on the Project regarding the implementation of the planned activities. Seek programmatic guidance from the Culture Sector, as needed.
- Prepare draft budgets in collaboration with partners and monitor budget execution. Monitor the implementation of the project on a regular basis through missions, reporting and assessments.
- Draft regular reports to the EU.
- Provide technical and policy advice and support to the country authorities in relation to the Project. Provide substantive and logistical support in the organization of trainings, workshops, conferences, meetings and side events. Supervise the ATA project team, ensure exchanges of information; identify new strategies of action to improve delivery of services and achieve the Project’s objectives.
- Provide information on the Project to partners and colleagues at Headquarter and the Field Offices.
- Liaise with the EU Delegations and UNESCO National Commissions in the ATA Cluster countries in order to inform them on the Project and coordinate relevant activities. Liaise with the EU delegations in ATA cluster countries in order to coordinate UNESCO's activities for Project activities in Central Asia.
- Support partnerships’ development and resource mobilization to complement the action implemented within the Project.
- Advanced university degree in the field of culture, education, social sciences, international relations, management or another related field.
- Minimum 7 years of progressively responsible relevant professional experience in the field of project administration and coordination, cultural heritage, of which preferably 3 years acquired at international level, preferably with the European Union and/or UN System.
- Good political judgment with the ability to negotiate at the decision-making level.
- Knowledge of programming policies and procedures in international development cooperation, in particular in UN System and the European Union.
- Ability to make technically sound decisions on all aspects of Project implementation.
- Ability to provide upstream policy advice at highest levels.
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment and establish harmonious and effective working relationships, both within and outside the Organization.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Supervisory and managerial skills, capable of leading a team of professionals.
- Excellent coordination and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent knowledge of English and Russian.
- Experience in the UN System, European Union or an international organization, preferably in the field of culture.
- Experience in the Central Asian region.
- UNESCO's salaries are paid in local currency (Kazakh tenge).
- Other benefits include: 2.5 days annual leave for each completed month of service, 5% for medical insurance and 10% for pension plan are included into the monthly salary.
- Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates are requested to send their application, including a motivation letter in English and the completed OFFICIAL UNESCO CV FORM, indicating the "Project Coordinator" to UNESCO Representative to Cluster Office for Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Uzbekistan, 67 Tole bi street, 4th floor, 050000 Almaty, Kazakhstan or via e-mail: (almaty(at)unesco(dot)org) NOT LATER THAN 30 September 2018.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY PRE-SELECTED CANDIDATES WILL BE CONTACTED.
A WRITTEN EXAMINATION MAY BE USED IN THE EVALUATION OF CANDIDATES.
UNESCO DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS.